The first step in creating an online presence is picking a domain name.
I am a firm believer that you should not be cheap with this one and not only register your domain name but get an email address to go with it.
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/paulmacp – personal profile
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/paulmacpcom – business page for this blog
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/paulmacp – personal profile
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/paulmacp – personal profile
- Youtube: http://yourtube.com/paulymacp – personal profile
Notice how life is not perfect, and someone else has the paulmacp handle on youtube.
How did I choose focusonongevity.com
For me, it was a quick brainstorming activity in front of GoDaddy’s domain search function. I was really surprised that this domain was still available for purchase. I immediately registered the domain via GoDaddy and opened a hosting account with them as well. I then re-launched paulmacp.com and launched focusonlongevity.com. By launched/relaunched I mean I soft-launched them (installed WordPress, bought a WordPress Theme and started customizing it: more on those details in future posts, and started the process of adding content).
The hard launch will happen in a few months for both web concepts. The hard launch is when I will promote the websites in earnest, trying to drive traffic and awareness. Basically the hard launch is when the marketing begins. More on that as well in future posts.
For focusonlongevity.com, I also bought a monthly office365 (email) subscription from GoDaddy for firstname.lastname@example.org and have it integrated into my iPhone, iPad, and personal laptop. I secured the social media handles because of this using this email but shrunk to onlongevity so the handle would be under 15 characters (length restriction of twitter) for all of them to be consistent.
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/onlongevity
- Instagram: http://instagram.com/onlongevity
- Twitter: http://twitter.com/onlongevity
The youtube handle will come after I can get 100 followers as per their requirements (as documented here, How to Change Your YouTube URL).